In this episode, we chat with Ola Doudin, Founder of BitOasis, the largest and most trusted cryptocurrency platform in the MENA region. Formed in 2015, BitOasis serves as the go-to platform for first-time cryptocurrency buyers and seasoned traders alike. They are a pioneer of the cryptocurrency movement in the region.
How BitOasis came to be was unconventional, as Ola shares more about her childhood and journey to bring this opportunity for the region. Sharing her rebellious side as well as the ups and downs of running a crypto startup in the region, Ola shares lessons for founders who want to fundraise whilst overcoming very dire challenges.
I really enjoyed the insights she brought to the table, talking about the persistence you need to keep going, and the challenges of a solo founder especially in this region.
We'll talk about:
- Ola's rebellious side and how that feeds into her qualities as a proven founder
- Riding the cryptocurrency wave early and the challenges of bringing it into the MENA region
- The delusional expectations that founders have on themselves as well as those around them
- How Ola overcame the obstacles of fundraising and becoming a trusted startup until now.
- 2:51 What makes someone successful can become their enemy
- 6:30 Self-awareness is one of the best qualities for any founder
- 7:38 A childhood of perfectionism, and how it can be very taxing on people
- 13:50 What Ola Doudin thinks about her life choices
- 15:56 Negotiating to change schools only to get expelled
- 21:04 Turning point for Ola in studying overseas
- 27:56 The beginning of Ola's unconventional career after EY
- 31:34 Setting the foundation for BitOasis
- 37:35 Meeting with founders for BitOasis in the beginning
- 40:33 The valleys of death to cross, and founders' unreasonable expectations
- 43:18 Navigating through the challenges of crypto as a solo founder
- 45:24 How Ola Doudin fundraised for BitOasis in the Middle East
- 51:25 Invest in relationships early: advice for founders looking to get investors
- 55:00 BitOasis had the banks closed the doors on them, yet they continued
- 57:04 Ola Doudin's motivation to persevere: The Team
- 59:31 The market decides whether you win or lose
- 1:01:33 Ola Doudin's Book Recommendations
- 1:02:53 Ola Doudin's legacy is a work in progress
About the Host